Marion Center National Bank opened its doors during the summer of 1905. These one hundred plus years have seen many landmark events. When President Roosevelt ordered all banks to close on March 4, 1933 for the “Bank Holiday,” MCNB pulled its door blind down half way and continued to operate. This earned the local bank the reputation of “the bank that did not close during the depression.” Following this tough economic time for the United States, Marion Center National Bank continued to prosper and change.
Structurally, the Marion Center office changed twenty-five years later when the “caged in” teller areas were removed and a single drive-up lane was installed. The drive-up was a first for any Indiana County bank. Later, in 1979 the multiple drive-up banking lanes were installed. Expansion and reorganization often follow change. The opening of a second office of Marion Center National Bank and the inception of the Community Bankers Corporation evidences this. The Clymer office was opened for business on December 6, 1984 and the holding company was formed May 1, 1986.
Technology helped to ease the growing pains during the 1980s and 1990s with the purchase of computer equipment that made MCNB an in-house processor, closed circuit surveillance cameras and the first ATM machine. Also during this time, a third branch of Marion Center National Bank opened. Our Willow Springs office expanded our market area in April 1996.
In 1997, with three offices up and running, the opportunity presented itself to stretch the Marion Center National Bank name into Armstrong and Jefferson Counties. The acquisition of two National City offices changed our number to five. Dayton and Big Run were the areas of growth for MCNB in May 1997. Then, in less than three short years, the banking opportunities in Jefferson County grew to include our sixth office: The Punxsutawney Branch.
After experiencing many types of banking activities, the spring of 2005 brought about another important change. On April 1, a change in outdoor signage at all six locations drew the attention of customers everywhere. Signs were replaced announcing Marion Center Bank. The name change was one step in the conversion from a National chartered bank to a State chartered bank. Throughout the years, Marion Center Bank has had the support of a strong customer base.
This strong customer base then propelled us to our seventh office in June 2011. The corporate headquarters and a branch office opened on June 22, 2011 on Indian Springs Rd in Indiana, PA.
November 8, 2012, an opportunity to expand our branch footprint presented itself and we opened our eighth branch in Hastings, PA. This branch was opened in a temporary "store front" location on Beaver Street and operated for 20 months while a permanent location was being built also on Beaver Street. A grand opening was held June 28, 2014 to welcome our new building to the community. The addition of this office now allows Marion Center Bank to provide services to the Indiana, Armstrong, Jefferson and Cambria Counties.